Remember when you were a kid and you were told just what you had to do to avoid cavities? However, here you are, a grown up and you realize you are dealing with tooth decay, as you wonder what you’re doing wrong and what you could be doing right? Instead of feeling like you must be missing out on some huge, all-powerful secret, remind yourself of something important: It’s often about getting back to basics that you have simply accidentally lost sight of. In even more exciting new, our Austin, MN team can help you make this a reality with easy reminders!
Brush Those Teeth!
We start with the easiest, most memorable one first: Brush your teeth! You have been hearing this since you were a wee child, which means it’s definitely something you already know on an almost intuitive level. As for what you may be missing, however? The details. Let’s talk about frequency and more, so you have a clearer framework within which to care for your smile, so you can more easily avoid tooth decay:
- Remember that in order for brushing to work its magic, it has to happen in the morning and at night before bed
- Don’t forget to set a timer: Brush for two minutes each and every time you brush!
- Use a toothbrush that has soft bristles for the best cleansing
Always Floss Your Smile!
Next up? Flossing, of course! You remember this one from childhood, too, though that doesn’t necessarily mean the habit ever caught on. In addition, you may have always associated it more with keeping your gums healthy without realizing that it’s also a key player in the fight against tooth decay. So, here goes:
- You need to remember to floss your smile just one time every day
- Don’t forget to floss! Even missing a single session means you may go 24 hours or more without floss, which leaves damaging plaque to turn into hard-to-remove tartar
- Floss between all of your teeth and reach way back behind back teeth, too!
Go To The Dentist!
Yep. Belonging to the no-cavity club means you have to go to the dentist! The same rules apply in adulthood. Your friendly oral health team (that’s us) would love to see your smile two times each year, about six months between visits, so you can receive essential checkups and cleanings that let you say “no thanks!” to tooth decay.
Practice Easy Cavity Prevention
Get back into the habit of coming in to see our team every six months for your preventive care visits, while you also get back into the swing of remaining dedicated to your dental hygiene at home! Schedule a visit with our Austin, MN practice today by contacting Potach and Mitchell Dental Clinic today at 507-437-6312 to schedule your care.