Are you doing anything special to protect your lips as part of your oral health care? You may be surprised that we ask (unless, of course, you suffer from chapped lips like many of our patients). While dry lips won’t necessarily result in any significant issue for your smile, nobody likes dealing with peeling or cracked lips! See how much you know about using lip balm to keep your lips safe.
Quiz: True or False?
- True or False: If your lips peel, you should carefully finish peeling away the dead skin to reveal fresh skin beneath.
- True or False: The best time to use lip balm or other lip treatments is after you have gotten ready for the day and after getting ready for bed
- True or False: All lipsticks are quite drying. As a result, there’s no use worrying about which formulation you choose, since they will all dehydrate your lip tissue.
- False. It’s important that you avoid peeling away the skin to avoid bleeding or further irritation. Instead, you should use a scrub (such as sugar and water) to carefully massage away dead skin.
- False. Actually, if you are going to wear lip balm to keep your lips hydrated, it’s best to do before you “get ready.” As a result, face soaps, astringents, and other cosmetics that can potentially dry your lips will not do so – the balm will offer protection.
- False. There are a lot of different lipstick options out there, including those with ingredients that do nothing to benefit your lips to those packed with natural, moisturizing ingredients. Seek out moisture-rich formulations for best results.
ABOUT YOUR AUSTIN, MN, DENTIST:
Our team offers our patients and their family access to comprehensive dental care, including general, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry. To schedule an appointment with the Potach and Mitchell Dental Clinic, contact our Austin, MN dental office today by calling 507-437-6312. Our office welcomes patients from Austin, MN and surrounding communities.